As part of our endeavour to make the moving process a less daunting proposition and following on from our infographic ‘Top Tips for Moving House’, we here at Hadley and Ottaway thought we’d create a two part checklist which informs you of what you need to do in the weeks leading up to the move and moving day itself. In this particular post, we will be focusing on what you should being doing a month, three weeks and two weeks ahead of your scheduled moving day. Our second post, in a couple of weeks, will then look at what needs to be done a week and the day before you move, alongside the day of the move itself;
One Month Before the Move
• Arrange the date for your move so you then have plenty of time to pack and make the necessary arrangements in terms of the removals company you are going to use.
• Compile a comprehensive list of the fixtures and fittings you plan on leaving behind to ensure you don’t forget anything.
3 Weeks Before the Move
• If you own pets, ensure you have plans in place for their transportation to the new property or alternatively where they are going to stay whilst the move is in progress.
• Collate all the packing materials you are going to need for your belongings, not forgetting that we at Hadley and Ottaway can supply this for you!
• Ensure there is easy access for the removal vehicle to get right up to your property, trimming any trees and shrubbery if necessary.
2 Weeks Before the Move
• Arrange for any children who won’t be helping on moving day to be looked after by a friend, family member or childminder.
• Clear your loft out, throwing away anything you don’t want to take with you.
• Take down any fixtures and fittings that are moving with you, whilst also dismantling any self assembly furniture and outdoor structures such as sheds or greenhouses if they are being installed at your new property.
• Arrange a suitable time for a professional to visit your property in the coming days and disconnect all electrical appliances, for instance those in your kitchen.
• Any furniture and fabric that you will be placing into storage during the move should be treated with anti-moth products.
By following this checklist, when you are two weeks ahead of your scheduled moving day, you should have everything in order for a smooth, stress free move. Don’t forget to check out our next post for advice on what to do in the days leading up to your move, and remember, to arrange Hadley and Ottaway removals in Ely, Huntingdon or any of the surrounding areas, don’t hesitate to get in touch today.